New Talavana (Tal·ah·vahn) farm
community was begun as a project in June of 1974. This was done
at the suggestion of His Divine Grace, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
Prabhupada, founder of ISKCON (International Society for Krishna
Talavana is one of the twelve forests around
Vrndavana, a city in India where Krishna incarnated 5000 years
ago. Krishna and His cowherd friends would go there and play,
rest, eat and watch their cows as they grazed.
At first it was just a few devotees from the New Orleans temple
who came out and slowly began planting gardens. They worked
as time permitted and then returned to the New Orleans temple
at night, a round trip of about 130 miles.
Soon some devotees began staying on the farm
New Talavana was chosen as a name by the founder
of ISKCON, Srila Prabhupada while he was visiting the Honolulu
temple on May 4th, 1976.
The first cow was purchased from a stockyard and the devotees
named her Kunti. She gave the farm its first fresh milk as well
as its first calf, named Subhadra. Later more cows were purchased.
The devotees also continued to purchase more
land over the next 10 years. Eventually we reached a total of
1200 acres. This makes New Talavana the second largest Hare
Krishna farm community.
New Talavana is producing wheat, fruit, and vegetables. We also
have about 60 acres set aside for hay and collect hay from another
100 acres not owned by New Talavana. Krishna's cows are also
producing fresh milk from which the devotees supply our presiding
deities with delightful milk sweets.